This week on Ask Chef, I am showing you the kitchen equipment I use daily both at work and in my home. These are essential items to have in the kitchen and you can find most of them at Budget Food Equipment – a local small business!
Here’s the list of items & their uses:
- Paring knife; curved or straight – meant for slicing up handheld items like apples or oranges.
- A tomato knife with a serrated edge.
- Boning knife; as used in our Traditional Ham Recipe; to get around a bone when cutting it out, it is a very flexible knife
- Bread knife; to cut through those crusty rolls fresh from the bakery.
- Fileting knife; perfect for fileting salmon or cutting up vegetables.
- Soft slicing knife; for slicing ham or roast beef.
- 8in & 9in French knifes for chopping vegetables.
- 8in Santoku vegetable knife; this knife doesn’t allow vegetables to stick to the edges when cutting.
- Slicing knife; for your roast beef buffet
- Kitchen fork; for helping lift a turkey or roast out of the pan and onto the cutting board.
- Steal; this brings the edge back of your knife – if you have dents in your knife, you need to sharpen it first, than bring the edge back with a steal.
- Peelers; great for vegetables, make sure to peel away from yourself (not towards).
- Bone pilers; great for getting salmon or turkey bones out.
- Microplane; great for grating or zesting.
- Wooden spoon & spatula with long handles to avoid heat.
- Taco holders; kids love these!
- Apple corer; cuts and peels it at the same time (purchase online)
- Live edge charcuterie boards; we have available for sale, contact us!
Follow us on social for more content!